Lake Windermere

Lake Windermere

Sunday 24 August 2014

RECORD HOLDER!

I am happy to report that I succeeded in crossing the Enlish Channel from Alderney to France in a time of 6 hours 27 minutes.
This makes me the only person to have swum to France from 2 different Channel Islands

I will put a full report of the swim on here soon but check these newsreports out first!

http://guernseypress.com/news/2014/08/22/teacher-is-first-person-to-swim-to-france-from-alderney-and-jersey/

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11312632&ref=rss

http://www.channelonline.tv/channelonline_guernseynews/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=512532

Teacher completes second Channel swim

David Coleman David Coleman has swum the English Channel four times

A man from Northamptonshire has become the first person to swim from two of the Channel Islands to France.
David Coleman, who was born in New Zealand but now teaches at a private school in England, had already swam from Jersey to France in 2013.
He completed the 13 mile (21km) swim from Alderney to France on 21 August in 6 hours and 27 minutes.
He said: "It felt like I was in a washing machine a lot, other times I didn't feel like I was moving at all."
He completed the Jersey to France swim in July 2013 in 9 hours and 18 minutes.
'Going backwards' Mr Coleman said the tides were a major issue from him on the Alderney swim and at one point was going backwards.
"I think the water was 16 or 17 [degrees], I swam without a wetsuit and didn't notice the water temperature being cold or warm. It certainly wasn't warm but it was perfect for me.
"As we got 100m from the beach in France the tide changed and instead of being swept in I found myself going backwards across the tide. I had to swim diagonally across it, which put another 20 minutes on it.
"It was a horrible feeling, it was one of the worst feelings I've had on any of my swims. I was so close, I was 60 strokes away and I was going backwards, back out to sea."
Mr Coleman added that he does not expect to swim the English Channel again as he has done it four times.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Setting off. 7am. Only 13 and a half hours to go!